The Gold Coast Academy of Sport (GCAS) is proud to announce that during 2021 we delivered a Women’s Rugby 7’s program.
With the growth of female participation in Rugby 7’s and the success of our national team, the Academy delivered the first development program for women interested in furthering their skill development and knowledge of the game. The program and future 7s programs will be utilised in the hope women are encouraged to continue their involvement to higher levels of representative and regional rugby representation.
The focus of the program will be developed to provide athletes with targeted long-term skills, alongside the educational elements that enhance performance. Topics such as Nutrition, Strength and Conditioning, Sports Psychology and Body Maintenance and Rehabilitation all help the athletes to better understand how they can approach their development.
U15 Coaches – Lawrence Faifua, Lucy Lockhart, Amy Van Meygaarden
U17 Coaches – Richard Kingi, Joel Robinson
Sian McNeill – Ehrlich
Nominations are encouraged through clubs. An invitation is forwarded to clubs to identify and nominate talented players who will benefit from additional skill development and educational sessions.
The program will include specific training days and educational seminars delivered by professional presenters to help prepare players off season to ensure they are ready for the upcoming season.
The program provides identified talented players with an opportunity to learn and compete against the best in their age group. It is hoped that these sessions will further the love of the sport and the development of skills for players to engage and strive for higher level representation.
The target age group for positions within the Rugby 7s program is for 14 – 17 year old female athletes residing on the Gold Coast.
Athletes must be a member of the Gold Coast District Rugby Union and/or an affiliated club or be prepared to join one.
There will be a program levy which covers the cost of a full uniform kit including dress polo shirt, training shirt, training shorts and socks, plus a ball.
- Access to attend educational seminars, presentations and special events through the GCAS.
- Access to the GCAS TeamApp for streamlined communication opportunities with coaches and ease of access to additional information and resources from the GCAS.
- Invitation to the GCAS Annual Awards Evening later in the year
- Invitation to special seminars conducted by GCAS or partners
Athletes who commence the program are encouraged:
- To attend all compulsory training and education sessions as scheduled
- If unable to attend sessions, message to be sent to Programs Manager to advise
- Be committed to a holistic approach to their development both on and off the field
- Comply with the training requirements and respond in a positive manner to any suggestion or criticism
- Behave and dress in a professional and dignified manner whilst representing the GCAS and its sponsors